30 Career Tips That Are Going To Make A Difference In Your Life And Career Journey
There have been tons of lengthy books offering career advice published through the years.
However, if you do not wish to plough through a whole book of career advice, here’s a shortened version for you to ensure that you are in the right track of your career!
30 Useful And Important Career Tips That Can Make A Difference
Here are 30 incredibly useful career tips that can help to make a difference in your life as you work to climb the corporate ladder:
1. Make a good first impression and remember that one makes a first impression in the first 30 seconds. Make them count.
2. If one is an employee, he or she represents themselves and their company always. Remember this wherever you may be.
3. There is no such thing as an overnight success. Every overnight success was a long time in the making.
4. If one is looking to give their life a meaning, a great job or career cannot help them achieve this.
5. Be nice to colleagues. It is amazing how far being nice to them can carry a person in their career and even in life.
6. To lead, one must be a person of influence. In order to have influence, one must listen more than they speak. Only then can he or she get a loyal following.
7. Respect people working support roles. Interns and assistants may be the network contacts needed in future.
8. Treat everyone with respect since everybody presents a potential door to opportunity.
9. When an opportunity to pitch to the boss arises, present your idea having looked at the costs and benefits from the boss’s perspective.
10. Most people consider soft skills to be add-ons. They are not optional but a core part of what one has to offer. Present them strongly.
11. When writing a resume, ensure that accomplishments are specific. That means that they should include facts and figures as much as possible.
12. When reviewing one’s own resume, it is important to critically consider the overall message being sent.
13. The resume should tell a story that paints one as the perfect person for the position at hand.
14. When writing a cover letter, consider the type of company one is applying too. Review their website first and decide if they are serious, quirky and the like.
15. Remember that the cover letter is complementary to the resume and should therefore not be used to reiterate it.
16. Taking the tone of a salesperson when writing a cover letter can unfortunately overshadow one’s solid qualifications. One ends up sounding aggressive and pompous which can be off-putting.
17. If you do not meet the job qualifications, you should never apologize for that in the cover letter.
18. When researching a company in preparation for the interview, take note of what makes it stand apart from the competition.
19. When going to an interview, always carry several copies of the resume, work samples if applicable, a pen and a notepad.
20. When asked about your greatest weakness as an interviewee, you should be creative in coming up with authentic weaknesses and not clichés such as perfectionism.
21. If it’s a phone interview, one should take on a power pose and smile. Alternatively, one should consider standing up even though no one is around to see them.
22. During an interview, make eye contact and look interested in what the interviewer is saying as well as in the position.
23. A good manager is an effective one. The best way to be effective is to ensure that you keep all the promises made.
24. Delete apps that bring distraction. This will help you keep focused and be productive.
25. When dealing with an angry client, use their name when addressing them. Saying their name can actually change their attitude.
26. When sending emails, avoid reinventing the wheel. Most emails that one needs to send are already created as templates for use.
27. If public speaking causes fear, understand that overcoming that fear will take time and practice. Therefore, plan on how to do it.
28. Regardless of one’s field, one can always find inspiration and creativity online especially on social media. It’s a great place to get ideas.
29. To create a great LinkedIn Summary, one must have three to five short paragraphs that also have a middle section made up of bullet points.
30. Ensuring that you post an article each week on your LinkedIn feed is important even if you are not actively job hunting.
One of the best things that everyone can do is to keep tweaking those little things that can advance one’s career.
This could be learning new soft skills that could come in handy at work, creating a work plan that makes them more creative, or leveraging their networks to take them from where they are now, to where they need to be.